Tell Congress to Protect Your Pension Benefits
In February 2018, Congress established a bipartisan Joint Select Committee on the Solvency of Multiemployer Pension Plans. This Committee was tasked with producing legislation by November 30, 2018 to address the dire solvency issues faced by over 120 multiemployer pension funds across the US, such as the American Federation of Musicians and Employers' Pension Fund (AFM-EPF).
The Joint Select Committee was made up of eight Senators and eight Representatives, with equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans. Unfortunately, the Joint Select Committee was unable to reach an agreement on a bipartisan legislative solution by its deadline.
Even though the Joint Select Committee's mandate has ended, Congressional leaders are continuing their work with the goal of producing a solution that can pass both houses of Congress and be signed by the President into law.
The Trustees (as well as the AFM and Fund employers) will continue advocating to Members of Congress--asking that they move with urgency to produce a bipartisan solution that treats our participants fairly. (For more information about the Trustees' efforts to secure a legislative solution, see the "Federal Legislation" section of our FAQ page
Congress needs to hear directly from you.
The voices of our 50,000 participants and those of other funds facing insolvency will be crucial in persuading Congress to produce and pass legislation that fully and fairly solves this crisis.
You can use the information below to:
Identify Your Members of Congress
- Identify your Members of Congress
- Plan what to say
- Call your Members of Congress
- Email your Members of Congress
and enter your address to find your Members of Congress.
Plan What to Say
Whether you are calling or emailing your Members of Congress, you will first need to tell them where you live (so that they know you are a constituent) and why you're reaching out. For example:
After that, the most important thing is to tell your own story.
- My name is _____ and I live in [City, State].
- I am one of 50,000 participants in the American Federation of Musicians and Employers' Pension Fund.
- Congress must pass a solution now to protect my pension security by restoring the health of my Fund and the more than 120 multiemployer pension funds across the nation facing insolvency.
- Any solution must not only help pension funds that are in "critical and declining" status now. It must also leave room for pension funds like mine that may end up there in the future.
- Please don't support a solution that would do harm to my Pension Fund. That includes increasing PBGC premiums or mandating changes to the multiemployer discount rate.
If the AFM-EPF ran out of money to pay benefits, how would that affect your retirement security and quality of life?
Be polite, but make sure they understand that this issue is important to you, and that it will most definitely play a large role in how you vote in future elections.
Call your Members of Congress
Call the U.S. Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and follow the prompts to reach the offices of your Members of Congress. You will either reach a staff member or be asked to leave a voicemail.
Email your Members of Congress
Use the button below to send an email to your Members of Congress. The forms contain suggested text, but it is important that you tell your own story.